The 'Heaven and Hell' ride

After a few stretching sessions and photo shoots, the organizers flagged off the ride at 5:30 AM. I had to skip the mid-night movie in order to get some sleep. I started off later than I expected and after going 1-2 km, I figured out that I forgot my reflective vest, which was one of the mandatory items for the ride. Had to go back and fetch it. Finally after arriving at the start point, HBC Bike Station, we greeted each other and joined the stretching sessions and all. After the ride started, we slowly headed to the next check point, which is almost 67 km from the start point. We rode as if it was a 100-120 km ride, giving it all, as we were a bit concerned about reaching the check-points in time. For any other ride, we would be going at our own pace. But for the brevets, we rode in small groups, with people who ride in similar pace. And the reason for pushing initially is, we had to tackle a lot of head wind and inclines. To add to our misery, even the sun was shining brighter. We arrived at the first check-point (Y-junction) just before 9:00 AM. We took a small break, had bananas, quickly filled up the water bottles and started off to the next check-point, Kotepally lake, some 109 km from the starting point. The day got hotter and the inclines got worse. The head winds too competed with the inclines. A peacock flew across the road, and we were lucky enough to watch the beautiful scene from just a few meters distance. We did not stop pushing, but we took a small break in Vikarabad and a few other quick breaks, before we finally reached the Kotepally lake check-point at around 11:30 AM.
The view was so awesome that just by looking at the scenery, we were all pumped up.
I lied down and did a bit of stretching, as my usual limit for long rides is 110-120 km and I could feel that my muscles are slowly stiffening. A volunteer helped me in stretching and massaged a bit. The volunteers gave us orange juice and we drank as many as we felt like drinking. After filling up the water bottles, we headed to the next check-point - Haritha Valley View Resort, some 127 km from the starting point. Spotted a rider who was walking towards the Kotepally check-point. He dropped out as the tyre bursted :(
Even before hitting the main road, I could feel that my left leg was becoming stiff. I tried to ease the pedaling a bit but it won't go away. I got off the saddle to let the muscle relax. After riding for some more time, I could feel the stiffness in my right leg. I again got down and took a quick break. After reaching the foot of Ananthagiri hills, both my legs gave up on me due to severe cramps. I had to get down as I could not pedal anymore. I had some water and just then, one of my fellow riders came from behind and asked me what happened. After I told him what happened, he told me to have some electrolytes. Damn! I got glucose, electrol powder, salt but did not use any of it. Besides, the scorching heat aided the dehydration to kick in. He told me that we can walk up the hill as we still had plenty of time to make it to the check-point. So we started walking slowly after I had some electrolytes. We spotted a few riders and volunteers after ascending some 70% of the hill. We took a break and then tried to pedal again, but we could not go for even a few minutes. The volunteers clicked a few snaps and one of the volunteers told us to eat well at the check-point. We took another break and walked the remaining climb as well.
Finally, the hell part of the ride was over. We reached the check-point at 1:00 PM and I feasted like anything. Now another problem started. I felt so heavy that I knew I could not pedal much. At almost 2:00 PM, we started to the next check-point, Y-junction @ Movie Towers Hill top, some 190 km from the starting point. Coming downhill was an awesome experience! Even after breaking at a curve, the speed touched 60 kmph by the time we reached down. Another rider tagged along on the way, after riding for around 10 km. From there on, we planned to stop every 10 km for quick breaks. My stomach slowed me down and I rode slowly. But thanks to the tailwinds, I was not lagging behind. Another group caught up with us by the time we stopped at Chevella.
My speed reduced even more after riding for 10-15 km. Both of my fellow riders went ahead and I was riding at a snail's pace towards Gandipet. I took a short break before climbing the Movie towers hill, as I was determined to resort to walking anymore.
Finally, I reached the check-point at 5:15 PM.
Had a few bananas and water, and filled up the water bottles. Took a break as we knew that we have plenty of time left to reach the finish point.
We started off again and just before we hit the Microsoft climbs, we had to stop as my fellow rider had cramps again. He took a small break and we started again, riding much slowly.
At 6:00 PM, we reached the last check-point and finish line, the HBC Bike station with only a bit of energy left in us, after riding 204 km for the past 12:30 hours (including breaks).
We took a few snaps and again started riding slowly, as we had no other option to get ourselves and our bikes home :)
But this time, we were much more relieved and happy, as the ride was conquered successfully.
And that's how I became a Randonneur! :)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

One pleasant morning

routine lo variety

Hectic Week